The Library Effect - Focus

I like libraries. 

Libraries are places where I can escape the fast paced world we live in and immerse myself in my studies. Libraries are quiet, clean, and above all, simple. Book shelves, tables, chairs, lights, and air conditioning are the essential factors of a high productivity environment (AC, above all else, is indispensable).
MIT Library. 

The study vibe. 

Our human brains have this wonderful ability of imagination: we can simulate situations in our head. We probably all know what to expect before we eat chocolate, because we have tasted it before. I believe that a similar effect happens in a library. We imagine ourselves to be hardworking scholars, and we feel good about it, mainly because hardworking scholars are better than couch potatoes. In the library, with other people focused on their works, we feel more inclined to work and be productive. 

Environment is a big factor. 

There is this old saying that "you are the average of your five closets friends." Environment plays a big role in what we do and what we become. There is a reason why houses in good school districts are much more expensive than houses in poor school districts. Good influence matters. This is not to say one cannot overcome environment factors; in fact, often, environment factors can have an opposite effect: people working harder for their goals because it is not common place in their surroundings. 

Go to a library! 

Libraries are awesome resources. Even though the library in my town is old and small, I go there just to remove myself from distractions in my house. I can confidently say that I have a 20% concentration boost at libraries. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Snow Globe - The MacGuffin

The Searching Game

Sea of No Progress - Beginning of Continuity