A Year in Review - 2017

2017

Prime. Odd. Sums up to 10/10.  

Jokes Aside. 

Let's recap my life this year.

January
I remember my Junior year of high school. Reading 10 pages of history book every day and taking a page of notes to prepare for pop quizzes. In Calculus, we also started learning series and conditions for convergence and divergence. Hard times. 

3/10

February
Fencing season ended. We took pictures of seniors under a balloon archway. My record was pretty negative. I have a win/loss ratio of less than 0.5. I also remember volunteering to keep a door closed at the Chinese New Year party. I started preparing for Moody's Mega Math Challenge, 14 hours of using math to predict sea-level in the next 50 years. 

5/10

March
More notes. AP Economics. History. Calculus. Taylor series.... We had a big history commercial project. I planned out an elaborate commercial, but the plot was ruined by a group of boys' propensity of adding stupid things. Also, I laser cut a Kimi no Na wa name plate. It is within 2 feet from me as I type. 

4/10



April
Flowers! The flowers in front of my house started to bloom. April is a month full of vitality. Cherry trees also blossom in April. I think I know why Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is set in April. I started preparing for AP test. 

5/10



May
After AP tests, the school year started to wind down. We went on a field trip to New York. I started making my physics final project: electromagnetic train. We were supposed to have calculations for our train, but due to the complex nature of our project, our calculations were mostly theoretical (a better way of saying made up). 

6/10



June
End of my Junior year of high school. I got an award for having the most unpronounceable name. If you know my name, you probably wouldn't be able to pronounce it. I also worked on a standing desk project for my engineering class. I modeled a modular, adjustable standing desk. I also attended HackUC 2. I teamed up with a friend and made a Generative Adversarial Network to draw anime faces. Our project name is "neural network face generator," but we call it "waifu generator." My family also went on a trip to Portugal. 

8/10



July
Coming back from Portugal, I started my internship at NJIT. I ran into problems with installing a solar modeling software on IDL, but I eventually managed to get it working after multiple installations of Windows. I also attended an entrepreneurial summer program at MIT. First impression: no A/C in dorms = hell. I slowly got used to the heat. I took beautiful pictures of the Charles River and walked 30 minutes for bubble tea. 

8/10



August
Summer camp ended. My mom picked me up from Boston to go camping with my family. After coming back to New Jersey, I struggled to catch-up with the internship and also summer reading. I remember chugging through two long books: Jane Eyre and Midnight's Children. End of summer. Now I get why midsummer night is magical. Summer is fun, after all. 

7/10



September
Need I say more? School........ College apps......... Starting clubs.......... Waking up early in the morning......... Sleeping late at night.......... 

5/10 

October
School continued. I scrambled to complete my early action college applications. Workload started ramping up and I also started to participate more in clubs activities. I also got a new phone. After getting the new phone, I started taking more pictures than ever, because pictures actually look good! 

5/10

November
My birthday month. My favorite month. Two long weekends. Leaves started to fall. I started to wear a jacket to school. Winter was here. We finally harvested our carrots after several months of growing. Autumn really is a beautiful time: mellow sunsets, falling leaves, fading laughter. 

6/10



December
Aw. This month. More nights of sleeping at 1AM to finish homework. Fencing season started and life started to accelerate. I could barely remember things I did a week ago. It seemed so long ago. With this accelerating life, I was scrambling to map out my future and avoid hitting a wall. 

5/10

So. This is what 2017 looks like. 


Comments

  1. Very good. On the productive side don’t you think? Wonder what the graph would look like if productivity was plotted... inverse relationship to happiness?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Snow Globe - The MacGuffin

The Searching Game

Sea of No Progress - Beginning of Continuity